This is not a simple story about buying a house.
This is a story about realizing a dream, and having the dedication and heart to never let that dream go. Its about surrounding yourself with people who would never let your failure be an option, and who will work for beer and pizza.
But, I'm getting ahead of myself, so let me start from the beginning. John and I met at work, and were friends for over a year before we started dating. We have lots of common interests like music and nature, but the one trait, that I think, will keep us together forever (besides our love for each other) is that we love to keep busy.
I remember my friend Sarah jokingly saying, "Oh, you guys are such doers". As if we wore a scarlet "D" as a badge of one too many home reno projects.
So, what is a "doer" you as? Take a look at this list of common "doer" characteristics to see if you too wear the scarlet "D":
1. You are currently working on 17 different projects of varying complexity and completion, and would gladly take on another.
2. You love making lists, for everything, and enjoying checking things off those lists; for the pure satisfaction of rewriting the list to include more detailed information.
3. You would rather spend a couple of hours researching "how to" videos on YouTube than bother to keep up with the Kardashians.
4. You get pure satisfaction when you learn/ master a new skill or trade.
5. And finally, you fully realize how crazy you are to bite off way more than you can chew, and wouldn't have it any other way.
With that list in mind, here's our "doer" reality:
1. John and I have full time jobs and are currently working on establishing separate side businesses. Add to the list, we are now the proud owners of an early 1900s home/brothel (we'll get to that later).
2. You unexpectadly read and helped me edit a list I made and edited several times before finalizing.
3. Yesterday morning included 45 minutes of researching "How To Replace An Old Window Weight Chain". More to come on that...
4. There is something to be said about finding the perfect bleach to water mildew killing solution.
5. As this story will tell, John and I are content with being "doers", which is why I think everyone who knows us, saw our newest project and the tremendous amount of TLC it needed, and knew we were the right ones for the job.